Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Coast Salish Basket Weaving Workshop at MOA

Sunday February 4 | 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Buy tickets here

 
Join master weaver Jessica Silvey for a one-day cedar basket weaving workshop and learn about the cultural significance and traditional techniques of Coast Salish weaving. Using the cedar that was harvested and prepared by Jessica herself, participants will get to take home their own cedar basket creations. Jessica is a self-taught weaver of Coast Salish and Portugese descent of the Silvey family in Egmont, BC. The workshop is organized in conjunction with our newest exhibit, The Fabric of Our Land: Salish Weaving.
 
“Weave – to form by combining various elements or details into a connected whole. Many of my childhood hours were spent with my paternal grandmother in the forest. It is my favourite place to be, surrounded by cedar trees and silence. I have learned traditional techniques from research, as well as trial and error. I harvest and prepare my own materials. When I am ready to weave, the most time consuming work has been completed. Weaving is my passion and therapy for my soul.” – Jessica Silvey
 
Workshop cost per person (includes museum admission, light lunch, and all materials)
Adult | $140
Youth + Student + Senior | $125
Indigenous peoples + MOA Members + UBC Students / Faculty | $115
 
All ages welcome, children under the age of 12 should be accompanied by an adult. No experience necessary. Limited to 20 participants only.

No comments:

Post a Comment